4-course, small English cittern modeled after da Salo and Praetorius, 1996.
- Original: Modeled after a combination of the Gasparo da Salo c. 1560
(Ashmolean Museum, Oxford), and the illustration of a "Klein Englisch
Zitterlein" (plate VXI of Theatrum Instrumentorum) in Praetorius' Syntagma
Musicum (Wolfenbuttel, 1619)
- Maker: R.W. Banks, 1996
- Mensur: 38.4 cm
- Temperament: Equal (at the request of the original client)
- Tuning: currently in "in chorda valle" tuning (f-a-d'-g', but with dropped
octave f instead of f'), so it can also be tuned in standard Italian
- Stringing: Steel (courses 1,2) Brass(course 3), Twisted Brass (Course 4)
- Stringing Tension: 3.5-4 Kg
- Construction: Built-up, with 7-piece fanned back
- Woods: Curly Hard Maple (neck, back, sides, pegbox), Boxwood pegs, Pearwood
(bridge, fingerboard, fingerboard wedges), Port Orford Cedar soundboard,
Pearwood and Vegetable Parchment rosette, Rosewood (columns and strap
button), Ebony/Maple/Ebony purfling.
- Frets: inlaid, flat brass
- Other: Corian peg "pips," nut, and tailpiece inlay.
- Finish: Spirit Varnish